Monday, February 14, 2011

I'm super funny...

Yesterday I said something funny. The great thing...I didn't realize I was funny until after I said it. It came naturally. That never happens to me! "Accidentally" may be a better word choice than "naturally", but I'd like to think it was the latter, so we'll just stick with that. 

Though I enjoy writing, I'm not that fabulous at utilizing those lovely literary devices we learned about in AP Literature back in high school. I can't ever think of puns, and usually I don't understand them when others use them. Stupid metaphors come really easily to me. I can't rhyme, my alliteration sounds like I have a speech impediment, and my hyperboles never turn out to be that hyperbolic. On top of all of that, I always mess up those phrases that everyone else seems to know. One time, I said "the cat's out of the hat." Oh boy.

I should also say that I have always been jealous of those people who can jump into a conversation, and nonchalantly respond in the most perfectly humorous fashion. They don't try at all. I try too hard. I mean, I think I'm funny, but I usually keep my mouth shut because no one else really cares.

And now ladies and gentlemen...the funny comment:

Yesterday at church, I was talking to a friend who had been up all night with an earache.  She said it was better, but it was constantly ringing and actually driving her nuts-o. So, in my attempt to be a good sister in the Relief Society, I told her that if she needed it I'd, "lend her an ear." Kidding, but serious.

And also PUNNY. I used a pun!!!!

I didn't even realize how clever it was until a minute or two later. Granted, it really isn't that funny. And she may or may not have already heard it 7 times that morning. But please take a moment to consider my history and it's sad lack of humor, and you might agree that it's kind of a big deal. I laughed for a while. Quite a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment