Saturday, November 13, 2010

Field Trip!

Today was without a doubt the best day in Ecuador so far. We got to take the oldest kids out of the orphanage and on a field trip. Special special special day! The kids rarely leave the orphanage, so they are always mesmerized with everything they see. It is so much fun to watch. Each volunteer got to pick one child to take on the field trip. I took a little spitfire who is so spunky, really smart, and such a pretty little girl. I honestly had trouble sleeping the night before. I could have sworn it was actually Christmas Eve, excited as I was.

This morning was a bit cloudy, and when we arrived at SVP the kiddies looked so cute in their little jackets. I will add that it wasn't THAT cold. I'd give it a "chilly", but these kids were ready to play in the snow by the looks of their clothes. I scooped my little girl up and we ran out the door, super duper excited for our fun day together. Just me and her.

We went to a nearby park to go paddle boating. The kids LOVE "agua, agua, agua!" so this was the perfect activity for them. I thought my little girl was going to fall out of the boat every time she lunged over to touch the water.  We raced with the other boats and ate fruit loops. Giggles were heard, and Olivia's quads hurt from paddling the boat with a "gordita" on her lap. She's not exactly small for a 2-year-old...

It was so nice to spend the day with just her. I could spoil her all I wanted. I brought her cheetos that she didn't have to share with anyone (although she did anyway).  I got to hold her on my lap without pushing her away because I was giving her too much attention. When she tripped on the sidewalk and cried I cradled her in my arms and comforted her until the tears were all gone. On top of that, I got to take as many pictures as my little heart desired. We're not allowed to do any of this on a normal day at the orphanage.

But today we could. It was a dream come true.

1 comment:

  1. what a sweet post! and what a special day for these little ones! you made it happen, way to go liv!

    ReplyDelete